Thursday, November 15, 2007

Diet: This is getting spooky real FAST!

I have had many long-winded arguments with Dr. Davis of Track Your Plaque but I'll be damned if he isn't right again! I kind of raised an eyebrow over one of his articles titled "Fasting: Fast Track to Control Plaque" until this study recently released at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions entitled "People who skip meals: are they better off?" corroborated his position.

The study provided fascinating evidence that suggests a fast as short and sweet as skipping two consecutive meals provides additional protection against heart disease. Dr. Benjamin D. Horne, Ph.D., M.P.H., study author and director of cardiovascular and genetic epidemiology at Intermountain Medical Center and adjunct assistant professor of biomedical informatics at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City offered two provocative quotes ...

“Fasting was the strongest predictor of lower heart disease risk in the people we surveyed."

based on the possible theory that ...

“When you abstain from food for 24 hours or so, it reduces the constant exposure of the body to foods and glucose,” he said. “One of the major problems in the development of the metabolic syndrome and the pathway to diabetes is that the insulin-producing beta cells become desensitized. Routine fasting may allow them to resensitize — to reset to a baseline level so they work better.”

OK, seems reasonable. Now, my next question is "Exactly how often do I have to "reset my baseline level?" Call me anything (and people do), just don't call me late for dinner.

Regards,


HeartHawk

1 comments:

Vietnam tour said...

Wonderful article. It is useful for me, thanks a lot for giving everyone an exceptionally splendid possiblity to read in detail from this blog. I really enjoy reading in your blog!

 
Blog Directory - Blogged