Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Diabetes? You Gotta Exercise! It Works - Big Time!!!

Ever since I was diagnosed as prediabetic I have been looking for ways to stave off the inexorable march to full-blown diabetes and its many heart related complications.  As I wrote earlier, the words of one of many endocrinologists I went to keeps wringing in my ears.  "You gotta exercise.  I has been shown to work better than any else."

Well, as a numbers geek I have been tracking things in different situations.  Like many prediabetics my fasting blood sugar is pretty stable - about 83mg/dL in my case.  My problem is after eating - postprandial blood sugar.

To do yet another test I went out last Sunday and ate a large meal on an empty stomach.  This included some nasty stuff like an abundance of french fried eggplant, a rack of ribs (which I'm had plenty of sugar in the sauce), three massive french fried shrimp (oh but were they good) with tartar sauce, a few veggies, and a small side salad (with a dressing which also likely had HFCS).  Like I said, not a praticularly healthy meal but, then again, my intention was to cheat and see what the consequences were.

One and one-half hours after the meal my blood sugar was a still a nasty 135mg/dL so I fired up the old recumbent stationary bike and did my typical ride - about 44 minutes, 600 calories, and 7 miles (yeah, I know the calorie counter is reading high but it is just a reference number to help me track and compare rides).

So, 45 minutes later I take another reading - BADDA-BING! 77mg/dL, I dropped 58 points in 45 minutes.  WOW!  Like the doc says, "You gotta exercise!"  Take it from me, it seems like magic and it works.  I guess all those old-timers who take their evening "cosntitutional walk" after dinner knew what they were doing.

The bottomline here simple - after you eat - move.  Walk stairs, walk around he block, heck do jumping jacks.  It all adds up.  You don't have to drop your blood sugar a whopping 58 points to have a dramatic effect.  Every point you shave makes you a little healthier!

Looking out for your health,


HeartHawk

13 comments:

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon said...

That is indeed very good news that exercise is working well for the diabetics.Also strict diet enhances their life quality and keeps the sugar level at bay.

Anonymous said...

Would exercising just prior to eating have the same effect?

Debt said...

Exercise is one of the three major aspects of diabetes treatment in addition to diet and appropriate medication. Strength training can have a very positive affect in managing your diabetes. Not only is it good for your sugar control, it is a positive anti depressant. Try swimming for 30 minutes, three times a week, as your schedule permits. If you are able to swim daily, please do so.

frequent urination in men and women said...

Exercise and walking is best for the diabetes peoples. You post such a great advices for them it will really helpful for them to decease the insulin level.

Orlando FL Homes for Sale said...

Exercise is very beneficial for controlling diabetes. Walking is also best option for that. I found the new variation of information in this blog.

Sustanon said...

To control in eating food and proper exercise is really helpful for the controlling diabetes. You gives such a nice food suggestions and exercise for those who suffering from it.

Sport Bike Parts said...

Exercise helps in controlling blood sugar and insulin level of our body so we can control our diabetes level. Your post contains awesome information about the taking care of diabetes.

logo mat said...

Exercise is not only best for the diabetes but it is best for any types of diseases. Your blog is best for additional knowledge.

Best Criminal Lawyer said...

Exercise is best for the diabetes and according to me walking is best exercise. In this blog post i found many tips which are best for our health.

pine needle oil benifits said...

Exercise is very important for diabetes people, exercise maintain insulin level of our body. According to me walking is also a best exercise.

chief gabril said...

Exercise for many people is challenging, especially for those who are not accustomed to exercise regularly. For most, initiate and maintain regular exercise routines, including included on the basis of a daily lifestyle changes.


Best buy to let mortgages

richmond va houses said...

Nice share and exercising not only improves your health, assist you to lower your weight, it also ensures that you stay healthy and you risk less of suffering from diabetes.

Regina Hilary said...

This app is great it gives you those moments of relaxation and incredibly wonderful
age of war 2 | tank trouble | gold miner | tank trouble 3
Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!my weblog:
age of war 3 | earn to die 6 | earn to die 1

 
Blog Directory - Blogged