Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The "Spooky Science" of Heart Rate Variability (HRV)

Over at Track Your Plaque we are always pushing the envelope on heart disease prevention and reversal.  I have been in the program so long that (barring another ground breaking find of which there have been many over the years) I am near the end of what I can do physically.  However, I have always been intrigued by how the mind might be used to alter the body.

Throughout history there have been many wild claims of yogis and mystics doing incredible things with their minds and living to ripe old ages disease free so I have always kept on the look-out for some hard science to back it up.  But I am a skeptic and, like Houdini, skeptical of whether there was any scientific truth to the wild claims - until recently.

I started to read about findings that the heart and other organs have clusters of neuronal cells (rudimentary "brains") and independent nervous systems that interact with the brain.  In fact, the heart has been reclassified in some precincts as an endocrine organ because of research that indicates it produces hormones.  Sound a little spooky?  Hang on, it gets even spookier.  I have begun to uncover literature that suggests these "brains" in conjunction with the "master brain" in our heads can even alter the transcription of certain genes.  It does not change your DNA but the suggestion is that these "brains" can "order" the body to either up-regulate or down-regulate the production of specific proteins created by DNA, proteins that literally govern how our body behaves.

So where does HRV come in?  Recent research has revealed that the beat to beat variation in heart rate (the time between "T to T" peaks in the QRST waveform of a typical EKG) is an exquisitively sensitive measure of the functioning of the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) and Parasympathetic Nervous System (PNS), the two major components of our body-wide Central Nervous System (CNS).  In a nutshell, when all the body's "brains" are communicating coherently they exert minute variations in the heart rate.  However, in situations of stress or disease the heart essentially runs on auto-pilot with little beat to beat variation.

We were so intrigued at Track Your Plaque over the possibilities we approached the HeartMath people, the leaders in HRV monitoring, to provide us with their HRV product so we could put it to the test - and it did not disappoint.  Once again, I was the guinea pig.  The next few posts will chronicle my personal experience with the basic PC Desktop version of the HeartMath emWave HRV monitor and training device.

The graphic below illustrates my baseline HRV waveform and it is very instructive of what most people will experience.



Notice how choppy and irregular it is which is exactly how the HeartMath people said it would be for a "noob" like myself.  A "coherent" nervous system, with the brain in your head in coherence with the rest of the body's "mini-brains" produces a smooth, sinusoidal trace.  The HeartMath "emWave" device is essentially a training tool with a built-in "coherence coach" to help you practice reaching a coherent state )with multiple challenge levels (kind of like resistance training for the body.

After several sessions and a little frustration at not be able to instantly master it (what can I say, I'm impatient) I did indeed improve coherence - but that will be the subject of my next blog!

Looking out for your heart health,


HeartHawk

38 comments:

Sidney said...

Speaking of coherence, I am in need of finding 'it'.

I have nearly completed Dr. Davis' book, 'Wheat Belly', which seem to be an advanced version (i.e., no wheat/gluten, low GI foods) of the Atkins' protocol.

I followed Atkins, and saw impressive results in weight, and lipids. Then, I hit a plateau.

Eventually, I read, and became knowledgeable, of work by Dr. McDougall, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. Fuhrman, et al, who promoted a no meat/oil/dairy vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, with research (besides 'The China Study') to back up their claims.

So, I switched to a vegetarian/vegan diet, and again had superb results; in fact, my lipid panels were even better than when on Atkins.

So, now, I read Dr. Davis' book, and the case he makes for wheat elimination makes sense, and is doable.

However, I, as a consumer, am frustrated, because I see one group of physicians, who espouse a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, achieving excellent results in weight loss, lipid profiles, plaque reversal, diabetes elimination, etc., WHILE ON THE OTHER HAND, I see a group of physicians, like Atkins, Dr. Davis, espouse a low carb/GI diet, which in turn produces the SAME results!!

Would you PLEASE explain why, and how, two different people, on two completely different diets (or the same person alternating between two completely different diets) can achieve the EXACT SAME weight loss results, the EXACT SAME lipid profiles, the EXACT SAME diabetes elimination, and the EXACT SAME elimination of arterial plaque?! This is so confusing for most of us out here in the trenches.

Thank you.

Sidney

sskipper @ ssidc. com

How To Lose Weight said...

Best Ways to Lose Weight Fast Finally Revealed Find Out How to Lose Weight Fast Today!

Stock tips said...

A critical look at the science and practice of curing heart disease from the perspective.

Stock tips said...

Choppy and irregular it is which is exactly how the HeartMath people said it would be for a "noob" like myself.

Commodity Tips said...

I like such kinds of books. And i am always ready to buy books. Because books gives lots of knowledge and provides thoughts to the people. Those people read books regularly, they definitely very knowledgeable person and their thinking also very high.

Commodity tips said...

several sessions and a little frustration at not be able to instantly master it, I did indeed improve coherence.

Stock tips said...

Distribution refers to the amount of selling taking place in the SPX where the index sells off more than 1% of its total volume on trading volume that was greater than the previous day.

Commodity Tips

Stock tips said...

Successful stock market investing means performing extensive research on each stock considered.

Commodity Tips

Stock tips said...

Investing today may be as easy as a few clicks of a computer mouse, but the risks that come with any type of investment are still there and there even some new ones thanks to the new technologies that have arisen.

Commodity Tips

free commodity tips said...

This online stock trading is a convenient way to make money as long as you take informed decisions. Choose a broker who can give you tips and advice as well as somebody who charges you the lowest brokerage.

Equity Tips

larry said...

Thanks for your informative blog . It is nice. Thanks and keep sharing.
Advanced Male Medical Center

Mcx Tips said...

I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.... i think this is really a great thing about the fashion. Really I am impressed from this post. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

Mcx Tips said...

I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.... i think this is really a great thing about the fashion. Really I am impressed from this post. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

Commodity Tips said...

I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.... i think this is really a great thing about the fashion. Really I am impressed from this post. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys said...

A critical look at science and practice of curing for heart disease.

Commodity Tips said...

Good day. Very nice website!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally…I’m glad to find a lot of helpful info right here in the article. Thank you for sharing.

Bullion Tips said...

Its such you read my mind. you seem to grasp so much approximately this.,like you wrote the booking it or something. I believe that you just could do with some percent to pressure the massage house a bit, but instead of that, that is excellent blog. A fantastic read. Awesome post I have found it today.

Stock Tips said...

This post is so informative and makes a very nice image on the topic in my mind. It is the first time I visit your blog, but I was extremely impressed. Keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday!

We Care India said...

There are no two ways that India is the world leader in attracting patients from across the borders for medical treatment in India like keratoconus treatment in india, best arthroscopic surgeon in india,ivf treatments, gestational surrogacy,eye surgery in india, cost of angioplasty in india, brain surgery at best hospitals in India.

Equity Tips said...

Really i am impressed from this post....the person who created this post is a genius and knows how to keep the readers connected..Thanks for sharing this with us. I found it informative and interesting. Looking forward for more updates..

Commodity Tips said...

Thanks for sharing the information. That’s a awesome article you posted. I found the post very useful as well as interesting. I will come back to read some more. Commodity Tips | Intraday Tips

Unknown said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.advertising | advertisment| production houses in pakistan

canon customer care number said...

nice topic and very useful blog

canon customer care number said...

nice topic and very useful blog

Unknown said...

This is the marvellous post that I have come over after huge searches. I am really thankful to you for providing this unique information.
Diet for Heart Health

Anonymous said...

Where di you go??? Are you still alive? are you o.k.? Can you please update your blog? Thanks

Unknown said...

HeartHawk is still alive. lol. He currently posts at the Track Your Plaque forum where he's an administrator. He's also a staff member at Cureality.

Unknown said...

According to recent study, heart health can be improved by consuming Cranberry Juice. Read this article for more information - Cranberry Juice for Heart

Regards,
Mantis Hugo

Unknown said...

I am following your blog regularly and got great information. I really like the tips you have given. Thanks a lot for sharing. Will be referring a lot of friends about this. SEO Expert in Lahore

Unknown said...

any one here who is making money from share market intraday trading tips. most of time i lost my all money but after tracking pehlasauda i recover my all losses.

What is seo said...

Thanks for sharing these information you can read more to learn how to promote the business.
What is seo

Equity Tips said...

Really got a useful blog to read today. Its very informative, keep posting more like this.

Unknown said...

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read.

Profit Vista
Premium Stock Future

diawin said...

nice post..siddha maruthuvam tamilAyurveda treatment

David Smith said...

Reading this article is gave me many things to think about. You have some quality information here that any reader would enjoy. I got useful information this article.Thanks for this Information..And We provid Stock Market tips for Commodity Tips And share market tips by Sharetipsinfo

John Doe said...

Rathnaa Fertility Centre is the best fertility center in karaikudi. And They offering best fertility treatment with affordable ivf cost. Established for more than 6+ years,

John Doe said...

Rathnaa Fertility Centre is the best fertility center in karaikudi. And They offering best fertility treatment with affordable ivf cost. Established for more than 6+ years

Boundless said...

For anyone stumbling into this blog, now apparently inactive since 2011:
TrackYourPlaque (TYP) is now Dr. Davis Infinite Health Inner Circle (IHIC):
https://innercircle.drdavisinfinitehealth.com/default.aspx
and contains both new developments and all the back traffic to the TYP days.

HeartHawk is active at IHIC (and plays a key role, likely why this blog is quiescent).

 
Blog Directory - Blogged