Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Miracle Pancakes: No Wheat, No Rise in Blood Sugar (as in zero, nada, bupkus)!

The real challenge in going wheat free is to find suitable food alternatives.  I've had little problem with lunch or dinner.  I love sub sandwiches and Jimmy Johns make the UnWich (lettuce wrap instead of bread) and a good Cobb salad always works for me.  Dinner is even less problematic with lean red meats, chicken, fish, and any number of vegetables which I love anyway.

But breakfast?  What to do about toast and pancakes and hashbrowns.  And let's face it, bacon and sausage ain't exactly health food despite being low carb.  Doc Davis convinced me (I was a doubter and an affirmed Ornish low-fat guy at the time) to go low-carb long before his Wheat Belly book burst onto the scene (the numbers don't lie - see this post).  In the process we both began working on recipes just for ourselves (many ended up in his new book and also the Track Your Plaque program cookbook).

But, the low-carb Holy Grail for me was a "miracle batter" that could replace wheat and allow me to eat things like muffins and pancakes.  Well, after months of testing and tasting, back and forth between Doc Davis' and my kitchen I think we may have it.  Doc D's Miracle Batter as I like to call it (although I tweaked it plenty it was still Doc D's basic recipe - and really - Doc D's Miracle Batter is much catchier name, don't ya think?).

So, where am I going with all this, seeing as how the "recipe" is not quite ready for prime time just yet?  Now that it passes my basic taste test it is ready for the real test.  What would it do to my exqusitely sensitive blood sugar.  Sound the horn please, as I have just completed the first test and the results blew my mind.

Fasting Blood Sugar at 10AM: 87mg/dL (not too bad for a pre-diabetic)

Prepared one serving of pancakes consisting of

1/2 cup of "miracle batter"
1/4 cup almond milk
1 Grade A Jumbo egg
1/4 cup artifically sweetened maple syrup (sweetened with sucralose)

I added the syrup just to "push the envelope" and, well, that's the way I used to eat pancakes as do many others.

Post-prandial Blood Sugar 11:15AM (one hour after consumption): 86mg/dL

WHAT?!  I couldn't believe it so I tested again.  The retest results: 87 mg/dL !!!

ABSOLUTELY ZERO GLYCEMIC EFFECT!

Now, one test on one person does not a miracle make.  But it looks awfully good so far!

Looking out for your health,


HeartHawk

P.S. Did I mention they taste fantastic?  Pictured above is one test recipe made with blueberries.  Man, like a long cool drink of water to man thirsting in a low-carb desert!

27 comments:

wmodavis said...

Ah come on give us a hint. What is Doc D's Miracle Batter? Pretty Please!

onewaypockets said...

Can you make them calorie free as well? :-)

HeartHawk said...

OWP:

Heh, calorie free? No, a skinny dude like me needs all the calories he can get, lol! It's the damn BG that gets me every time - but not with these sweethearts.

Here is a link to the recipe.

http://typ.trackyourplaque.com/recipe/Breakfast/miracle_pancakes.aspx

HH

emilymatthews said...

Hi Hearthawk, sorry to leave an unrelated comment, but I couldn’t find any contact info for you. I’m wondering if you’d be interested in having a guest post on your site. I'd love to hear your thoughts on some ideas I could pitch to you! Thanks, Emily

HeartHawk said...

emily:

You can contact me at hearthawk@wi.rr.com

Regards,


HH

Contact Lenses Hamilton said...

Thank you for the link. Do you know a calorie monitoring device?

Sheds said...

I read your blog from starting to end and I am very happy that you shared such a great and superb information with us. Well, regarding about it I have a question that Can you make them calorie free as well??

convert wmv to avi said...

Lovely recipe which you share above. I want to eat this recipe. It is really very testy and delicious.

Tom said...

Great article as well as great post...


Dental care Kailua

Seo solution said...

Nice blog & thanks for giving good taste.

Beverly said...

Some findings suggest that low dose thyroid supplement is beneficial for those people who have thyroid problems.

Indian Pharmacy said...

That is an excellent recipe, thanks for sharing it.

proargi 9 plus said...

It also promotes production of nitric oxide to support vital organs and body and increase blood flow to muscles and may help decrease body fat

reset windows 7 password said...

Heh, calorie free? No, a skinny dude like me needs all the calories he can get, lol! It's the damn BG that gets me every time - but not with these sweethearts.

research paper writing service said...

a liitle bit lots callories for breakfast. aa, anyway - thank, will try soon

payroll services said...

I like to make some different items in the lunch and dinner.It really very interesting and enjoyable.I try this item for make.Thanx to share with us.

BG said...

How is this helpful, if we do not know how to make "miracle batter"?

Reset Windows 7 Password said...

Thanks for sharing!

Stock tips said...

If you can, it is wise to buy shares before they show movements; this is when you can make the most profit. In such a milieu, stock broker firms which have a proven track record of endowing clients with pertinent and precise Trading tips such as Nifty tips, Option tips, Intraday tips, Stock tips, Share tips, etc.

Commodity Tips

convert vob file to mov file mac said...

Lovely recipe which you share above. I want to eat this recipe. It is really very testy and delicious.

John Smith said...

Susan with Fat Free vegetarian has been a life saver in our home - at sixty years recent it's troublesome to "learn to cook everywhere again" - that I did as a result of my husband's health problems. She has created what i assumed initially to be not possible, not solely attainable however pleasant also.

www.theseolearn.com said...

We considerably love this kind of web-site .I really will certainly return again.I recieve a great deal lately it's producing me angry thus any there's help considerably appreciated.
www.theseolearn.com

Unknown said...

Hi, I live in Canada and enjoy reading your blog. Am a nutrition consultant and always looking for healthy alternatives to eating and lifestyle. Could you please post or send me your recipe for the "miracle batter" for the pancake recipe? I would greatly appreciate this as I would like to make those pancakes.

Thank you and happy 2013.
Maria

Stock Tips said...

It is a well executed post. I like the diagram most. It is a helpful informative post. Thanks for sharing this great information.

Bypass Surgery Hospital India said...

that's the healthy cupcake recipe

Unknown said...


Morning visit Previously we would like to thank those of you who have provided very useful info

Obat Jantung Koroner Herbal
Kanker Prostat
Asam Lambung
Penyakit Jantung

Logintohealth said...

Amazing blog, thanks for sharing the information and the article is nice to share everyone.
diabetologist in Mumbai | dietician and nutritionist in Mumbai

 
Blog Directory - Blogged