Sunday, February 4, 2007

L-Carnitine Quickie

A number of people have asked about L-Carnitine. Here is what I know to date. Carnitines come in a variety of compounds that are commercially available as L-Carnitine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Propionyl L- Carnitine (they are all pricey). Although I have found no large scale studies there are several small scale studies at respected institutions where carnitines have been effective for such things as cancer related fatigue, male age related dysfunctions (e.g. fatigue and erectile dysfunction), alzheimers, diabetic neuropathy, and a host of other maladies. I took L-Carnitine for an extended period for its reputed ability (again small studies) to reduce lipoprotein(a) by 8-10%. It did not work for me but again, I am a statistical population of one and no inferences can be made from my personal experience.

Wikipedia has a decent technical description of carnitines here. There is also an old Medscape Article that pretty much puts carnitine in the "so-so" class of nutraceuticals. The evidence is positive but extremely weak for heart benefits. It is fairly benign in terms of side effects and toxicity at levels at or below 3 grams per day based on the reports I have seen.

Anybody got a carnitine success story to share?

Regards,


HeartHawk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, maybe someone can clarify something for me... What is the difference between Acetyl L-Carnitine and L-Carnitine? Is the active ingredient the same? Why the different formulations? Is one more potent or effficacious than the other? This one has puzzled me for awhile...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Abundant research on ALCAR by National Academy of Sciences member (and one of the smartest biochemists of all time) Prof. Bruce Ames

http://juvenon.com/about/scientific.htm

BTW, I have taken the ingredients for this formula (purchased separately and inexpensively) for 5 years and have seen huge changes in energy and non-illness. I am puzzled as to why people don't have or comprehend this info, in spite of the fact that every "cutting edge" physician I've seen, including the conservative Dr. Weil, recommends these chemicals based on Dr. Ames' research.

 
Blog Directory - Blogged